Oh yes, it’s another southern favorite and honestly what could be more comforting than creamy chicken and vegetables over a buttery biscuit? It’s sort of like a Chicken Pot Pie without the pastry shell. My family has been making this dish for as long as I can remember.
Now at home we would actually put the creamed chicken in a phyllo dough pastry shell but they are not easy to come by here in Mexico so I just changed it up and put it over my Southern Style, No Roll Biscuits and it’s yummo! It’s creamy, buttery and full of tasty chicken and veggies.
- 2 Cans Shredded Chicken or 2 Pre-cooked Chicken Breasts, Shredded
- 1 Bag of Frozen Peas & Carrots (If you use fresh, you will want to add a little water to thin the gravy out a bit.
- 1 Small Can of Mushrooms
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Paste or 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube, Crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Onion, Diced
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese (I use the Mexican Blend but whatever cheese you like will work just fine)
- 2 Tablespoons Dill (or to your taste….we like Dill and use it a lot)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Southern Style, No Roll Butter Biscuits
Sauté onion in olive oil until soft but not clear. Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until onions are clear. (If you’ve looked at my other recipes I’m sure you are seeing a trend here. Yes, we do love our onions and garlic!)
Add evaporated milk, chicken bouillon paste and cheese. Cook over medium heat until it begins to get thick. Add chicken, frozen peas & carrots, mushrooms, dill, garlic powder, butter, salt & pepper. Continue cooking until all ingredients are heated thoroughly. NOTE: If gravy becomes too thick you can add a bit of water to get it to desired consistency but don’t add water until after the frozen veggies have been heated up as when they thaw they add water to the mixture.
Serve over Southern Style, No Roll, Butter Biscuits!